The beginnings of what is now the Negros Oriental State University date back to 1907, from a single woodworking class at what was then the Negros Oriental Provincial School, the forerunner of the present Negros Oriental High School. As more industrial arts subjects were added, a separate arts and trade school on the secondary level called the Negros Oriental Trade School, which became the East Visayan School of Arts and Trades in 1956 and the Central Visayas Polytechnic College in 1983. In 2004, it is then converted into what is now the Negros Oriental State University.
PAST NAME OF THE SCHOOL
The Negros Oriental Provincial School (NOPS)
The Negros Oriental Provincial High School was the precursor of what is now the Negros Oriental High School. It opened in Dumaguete on September 1, 1902. The "Provincial School", as it was simply referred to before, arose at the time when the principal stress in the program of public instruction of the American Civil Government in the Philippines was simply the introduction of the most basic academic program at the elementary and secondary levels. It was one of the 23 high schools in the country at that time.
The curriculum offered by the Provincial School included English, reading, grammar, composition, arithmetic, geography, US history, and spelling. There was also a sewing class, which served as prototype of the vocational arts and trades education in the public schools in the province.
The Negros Oriental Trade School (NOTS)
The Negros Oriental Trade School (NOTS) was ordered created on December 3, 1927 by virtue of Act No. 3377 of the Philippine Legislature. It was opened in July, 1928 with a first year class of 25 students. Though it was already considered as a separate institution, its students, however, continued to take their academic courses in English and Mathematics at the Negros Oriental Provincial High School.
With the growth in size of the Negros Oriental Trade School, it became imperative to have its own campus. Thus on July 26, 1930, Mr. Paul Wittman,the Division Superintendent of Schools for Negros Oriental, petitioned the Governor-General Henry Dwight F. Davis to reserve for the future campus of the Negros Oriental Trade School a piece of property adjoining the Catholic town cemetery, which lay at what was then the outskirts of Dumaguete. In 1932, NOTS was transferred from its premises at the ground floor of the Municipal Hall to its present campus. That same year, it conferred diplomas on its first 18 graduates.
The members of class 1942 of NOTS were never to finish the school year. Like all other schools throughout the country, Negros Oriental Trade School was closed. Some of its male faculty and students rose to join the colors during the World War II. The Negros Oriental Trade School campus was used by the US Army in 1945 as quarters for Japanese prisoners of war whom they captured. NOTS was then reopened in July 1946 and in 1950, it became co-educational for the first time.
The East Visayan School of Arts and Trades (EVSAT)
By virtue of Republic Act No. 1579 signed into law on June 16, 1956, the Negros Oriental Trade School became the East Visayan School of Arts and Trades (EVSAT). Under this new status, EVSAT was headed by a "Superintendent" with a "Principal" assisting him in administering the academic program of the school. The responsibility for the financial support of the school also shifted from the shoulders of the province of Negros Oriental to the national government. The most salient developments in the life of the school at this time included its rise in status to a collegiate level, the diversification of its technical curriculum, and the increase in buildings, machinery and equipment.
In 1957, during the administration of Mr. Mariano P. Dagdag, technical education courses on the collegiate level were offered for the first time. These included technical machine shop, technical building construction, technical automotive mechanics, and a number of girl's trades technical courses. In 1960, Evening Opportunity Classes were introduced for the first time, to make trade education accessible to adults and out-of-school youth; and in 1961, three other government schools in Negros Oriental were placed under the administration and supervision of EVSAT. These were the Negros Oriental National Agricultural School (NONAS) in Bayawan, the Guihulngan Vocational School in Guihulngan, and the Bais School of Fisheries in Bais City. To the three was subsequently added the Larena National Vocational School in Larena, Siquijor.
In 1965, EVSAT was authorized by virtue of Republic Act No. 4401 to offer a teacher education program leading to the degree of Bachelor of Science in Industrial Education. This raised EVSAT to the full status of a collegiate institution and pointed in a fresh direction which in time was to bring an entirely new character to the institution.
In 1975, new shop courses in Marine Engineering and Electronics, and Saturday classes in Practical Arts were offered for the first time. EVSAT was also authorized to offer a four-year technical educational program, leading to the degree of Bachelor of Science in Industrial Technology (BSIT), with a major in industrial management and supervision.
The need for candidates for the BSIE degree, major in industrial arts, for laboratory classes to do practice teaching led to MECS authorization in 1976 for EVSAT to open elementary classes at first in Grade V to VI. The full elementary school program began at the start of the new school year in June 1977. In later years, a high school was added as a second laboratory schools.
In 1976, EVSAT's graduate program was inaugurated, starting with the Master of Education degree.
The Central Visayas Polytechnic College (CVPC)
By virtue of Batas Pambansa No. 401 passed on April 14, 1983 and signed into law by President Ferdinand E. Marcos on June 10, 1983, the Central Visayas Polytechnic College came into being. The state college was the result of the merger of three government institutions in Negros Oriental, namely the East Visayan School of Arts and Trades in Dumaguete City, the Bais School of Fisheries in Okiot, Bais City, and the Guihulngan Vocational School in Guihulngan, Negros Oriental.
In its educational task, the primary responsibility of the Central Visayas Polytechnic College was "to give professional and technical training in science and technology, advanced specialized instruction in literature, philosophy, arts and sciences, besides providing for the promotion of scientific and technological researchers." The State Collegewas authorized to offer undergraduate courses in liberal arts, engineering, fisheries, agriculture, and short-term vocational courses for the development of middle level skills. It was also authorized to offer graduate courses, after the passage of five years and at the discretion of its Board of Trustees."
In December 11, 1986, Atty. Marcelo C. Jalandoon was formally appointed as the first President of Central Visayas Polytechnic College. President Jalandoon's administration of CVPC encompassed the transition period after Martial Law. Philippine education was faced with the great challenge of responding to the compelling need to stabilize the country's political situation by solidifying its economic foundations and fulfilling popular expectations of a better life, now that freedom has been recovered from the morass of oppressive days.
In his first term as President from 1992 to 1997, Dr. Sojor placed high priority in advancing the program of CVPC under seven categories, namely, academic programming and instructional development, research, extension service, capital development, international linkages and partners, and production.
Negros Oriental State University (NORSU)
Through Republic Act No. 9299 signed by President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo on June 25, 2004, Central Visayas Polytechnic College (CVPC) was converted into a state university, now known as the Negros Oriental State University (NORSU), integrating therewith the Genaro Goni Memorial College in the City of Bais, the Siaton Community College in the Municpality of Siaton, and the Mabinay Institute of Technology in the Municipality of Mabinay.
"Over the years, NORSU has kept its earned reputation as a university for the poor and deserving. True to its mission, it continues to provide quality education to its clientele, the students from the urban and rural poor communities of the province of Negros Oriental, the other provinces of the Visayas and Mindanao and the other parts of the country and the world. Mainly because of the strong cooperation and support from its faculty, staff, students, parents, alumni, and stakeholders from the different sectors of the community, the State University has introduced many important changes in the facets of university life.
The room for improvement is still wide. We will continue to walk the extra mile, hurdle many more obstacles that lie ahead. But we will proceed to bring the much needed improvement in the quality of service that the University promised its clients." - Hon. Henry A. Sojor, Ph.D.